Wednesday 10 September 2014

Wool pulling going on?...

Just received a single copy of Model Railway Journal, the latest issue.  I wanted a look at a model garage that was being raved about in forums and press by Geoff Kent, who seems to be elevated to deity status lately.  I didn't know the name, not being a show goer or mag. buyer, club member or fashion victim.
I nearly flicked the pages past it.  It is simply nothing more than dozens of other depictions of country garages down the years.  It's nicely grouped, yes, but that ain't rocket science, is it?  It seems somehow very incomplete to me.  The structure's too clean and there just isn't ENOUGH there to achieve Lionisation.  I'd searched for evidence of the wider layout on the net and frankly wasn't blown away with that either, so I thought this garage would HAVE to be good judging by the reception it's had.  But no, I'm afraid deification requires more...a LOT more.  Have a look at this thing in the MRJ No 233, then have a look at Iain Robinson's country garages on his blog.  Which one is the full Monty?  On a model which is being touted as some kind of ultimate example we have proprietary vehicles, bought in signs and pumps from Dart Castings!  Come on MRJ, fingers out please.
I can only assume that Mr. Kent is the current drinking pal of the little clique that run the magazine. They come, they go.  They can't even keep an editor.  And if they did and he was like Mr. Shackleton, they'd probably be joining the model railway magazine choir invisible by now, pushing up finescale daisies.  Tired and shagged out after a long RTR squawk.

Come on, MRJ, cast the net a bit wider or bring back the original contributors who are still upright and sensible.  There are many good modelmakers out there.  Not all do the fashionable shows or belong to the in clubs.
How very spooky, whilst I am typing this, on the wireless they're playing "I'm in with the in crowd".

No more magazine extravagances for me, I think!  That would have bought me a coupla pints of Wherry or a box o' chocs for Chris.

14 comments:

  1. I am not man enough to comment and I can't type from behind the settee, but I do appreciate your very generous endorsement of my garages, thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well earned, Iain.
    I will not pretend, like all the rest seem to.
    That's what blogs are for! A bit of honesty, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure those charlatans at Pendon don't make their own paint and glue, either.

    The odd thing with that garage scene is the one vehicle that was scratchbuilt is the one everyone will mistake for an over used plastic kit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, Pendon's whole raison d'etre was to model actual buildings to the ultimate levels of realism. So far they seem to have kept that going, until now. That roof with two bumps in it and gaps under the tiles is not acceptable by any standards and that shop sign is a bloody disgrace. As is the moth eaten thatch. When someone tells you they're the best, they damn well HAVE to be. Having met Roye England in the very early days, I feel I have a right to criticise.
    Your point about the only scratchbuilt vehicle in the garage scene is very true. I understand he makes his vehicles out of styrene sheet, which explains the boxy subject choices. But white metal pumps? Come on.

    I wasn't THAT impressed by Alloa either, tbh! But the Kings were very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did notice the tiles that looked like they were obviously a strip. Nice lych-gate though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, nice lych gate, but what of the church it belongs to? Is that unfinished?
    I think at this level of aspiration and, usually, achievement, we that not only can, but do, have a duty to be vigilant over standards. You know the old saw about bad happening when good men do nothing. And for those of us for whom it's a living, it's more than just a train set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Google Chuck Doan or the west lake forum. It doesn't so much as raise the bar but changes the game completely. I hear Emmanuel Nollier has a new book out too (but it's only in German)

    Cheers

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm well aware of Chuck Doan, Jim. But to be fair to everybody else, he does work in much bigger scales, though I have seen some 1/48th work of his and it's almost as good.
    The other chap you mention, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emmanuel Nollier works in HO. I think chuck works in the same scal as your Mclaren build in here.

    Cheers

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. HO is pushing it! But then I'm just reading about Chee Tor in 2mm in an old MRJ. Astonishing!
    I think most of Chuck's set-pieces are in 1/16th scale, Jim. So he can start with that die-cast tractor and completely rebuild it!
    I really must finish that McLaren some day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You might have met Roye England once, and everyone is entitled to an opinion, but perhaps it would be more productive joining the team and working with them rather than spewing invective. After all, if these are the best model makers they have, the solution is either to carry on using the standards that appall you, or abandon the project.

    As I understand it, the aim was to build the Vale scene as a historical document in 3D - if that means a building you consider sub-par then tthis is better than no building at all. It can allways be re-worked (as many have been already) or replaced at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phil, many years ago I did try to join the team, but they had more than enough members working for them. Nowadays I am too busy. Spewing invective, eh? Believe me when I spew invective you'll know about it. My comments about the new Pendon stuff were merely observations of disappointment. If they can't keep the standards up to what we have all become accustomed to they should stop until they can. I may be wrong, but I can find no mention of any of those buildings being models of real ones and that was always a basic rule for Pendon. And that shop sign is simply a MISTAKE of both conception and execution. I might not bother about declining standards in magazines, etc., but I will not remain silent about such as Pendon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the garage is merely part of a larger scene. I'll look forward to seeing your peerless modelling at future exhibitions. That way you can show us all what perfection looks like. Twat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous, eh?. You know what I can do. And what I can't. You've read the blog.
    You really think I want to mix with you lot?
    Now go away. You're lucky I bothered to answer you.

    ReplyDelete