Wednesday 31 May 2017

A gentleman of the cloth...

Well, it worked and worked well.  Rather than go for expensive, springy, have-to-wait-for-the-postie Fibreglass cloth in order to sheath my model of "Vanity", I elected to do the tight-arsed thing and use J-Cloth, that cotton waste stuff used for cleaning. It's very strong, is a non woven mesh so strong in every direction, lightweight and goes exactly where you put it.  Once the resin has gone "cheesy" you can cut through the laminate with a knife and, with a wet finger, stick the remaining cloth edge down.
First side done and bang on. Tother side tomorrow, all being well, then finally a test with a waterproof hull to see how much weight it'll need.  Rather than expensive lead shot, I may use the pennies I've saved for years. It's either that or I cash in the pennies, 2s and 5s and pay for lead, but I'd rather not.
Here's the first side before a quick trim.

The apparent moire pattern is the check print on the J-Cloths.  These, btw, came as a huge bundle for less than 2 quid in Poundstretchers!  Then, when you're done, clean up with one.

No comments:

Post a Comment