Friday 3 November 2017

Chains, chains, everywhere man is in chains!...

Well, if not IN, then involved IN.
I was sent a pack of bits made by Tamiya, the well know over-pricing experts, for a 1/6th scale chain meant for their Honda kit. I needed this for the Vincent model because I have to make the sprockets to the correct pitch and that will be entirely governed by the chain available.
The pack was woefully badly packaged and so one of the 4 identical sprues was totally useless. They renewed that, which told me that the chain was £34 including p&p, which is frankly, taking the piss I reckon. Anyway, we now have a good, unsmashed pack which I am putting together at the rate of an inch a day and that's more than enough for something so complex and tiny.
Here it is so far, in it's little jig which is on each of the 4 identical sprues.


I have also been making brackets and plates for the Vincent master.  They all look different dependent upon which pictures you choose in the books, so I've done a kind of compiled average.  They look serious enough to be correct!


Last evening I spent some time adding gutters to buildings that needed them.  I started using my special press, but the aluminium I have is too thin and deformed and the brass shim a little stiff, so the punch broke!  I got enough shape from the punch to finish them anyway and then a bit of brass rod bent to represent a downpipe.  Still need the gutter support brackets, but  got the downpipe brackets done.  It's amazing what a difference something like a simple gutter makes to a model. My punch does scale 6 foot lengths with the ribbed, joggled joint section (the discernible "bump").

2 comments:

  1. You do know that Vincents can two different size rear wheel sprockets, one on either side of the wheel--the idea being that a ratio change can be quickly accomplished by removing the wheel (easy), and turning it around. Worst part of the job is fitting piece of "patch" chain that is usually is kept in the under-seat tool box, to make up (or removed,) to accommodate the sprocket size difference. Larger rear sprockets that were usually used on the street had lightening holes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am aware of that, Herb, but thanks for the reminder. A lot of the bikes I looked at only had the one sprocket on the back wheel and I think that's how we'll do the model.

    ReplyDelete